Headlines and Editorials in the Japanese Press
Thursday, May 18, 2006 Posted: 11:22 AM JST
Some of the top headlines and editorials in Japan's (Japanese language) newspapers today:
Court rejects woman's insurance claim, saying man was killed for insurance money; Death by poisoning recognized in civil trial.
Mainichi, Yomiuri, Sankei & Tokyo Shimbun:
False quake resistance data: Huser President Ojima arrested
Government's bill against sale of copycat products on Internet auctions likely to obligate large sellers to disclose their names, including individuals
(1) Ozawa-led DPJ: How will the party deal with the LDP?
(2) False quake-resistance data: Investigations into key persons will now begin
(1) Mindan and Chongryun: Two Korean groups must not turn their back on North Korean defectors
(2) Question time in Diet: Real debate now expected
(1) Question time in Diet: More in-depth debate on educational reform desired
(2) False quake-resistance data: Business practices gave short shrift to safety
(1) We hope to see heated debate in question time in Diet
(2) Reconciliation of Mindan, Chongryun is worth noting
(1) Reconciliation of two Korean in Japan: We hope Mindan does not turn into a second Chongryun
(2) Question time in Diet: In-depth review of post-war Japan needed
(1) Koizumi vs. Ozawa: We expect US force realignment and Yasukuni issue to be put on agenda for their debate
(2) Mindan and Chongryun: Are these two Korean organizations able to distance themselves from their home countries?
* * *